If you’ve been listening to our Successful, Fulfilled Kids series (of which this is part 7), I know you’re implementing some great tactics, like making sure your child does chores, and doing something besides “parenting.”
But today’s episode gets into a concept that is really key.
It’s a mindset shift that parents need to make, if only to show our kids what is possible.
Yup: we’ve finally come to the topic of Grit.
Listen in to find out why it’s important and how you can make sure your children have it!
Go to weturnedoutokay.com/268 for:
- A cheat sheet on Grit
- Key links from today’s episode
- The video of the week: Off this week! Returning March 28
And thank you so much for listening!
How to Get Quality Childcare: Free Online Class!
– The keys to finding the best child care for your young child
– To avoid one crucial factor that can derail your efforts to find good childcare
– Which questions to ask – and which not too – to assure your child thrives in others’ care
We cover this and more in the FREE online class I’m teaching on Thursday, March 28!
Sign up today – even if you can’t be there live, the replay will be available for several days after.
Get the best child care for your kiddos by taking this class, for free! Sign up here and I will see you on March 28: )
Temper Tantrums and Potty Training:
During today’s break I share about two helpful free guides I offer.
While the podcast is long-form – your opportunity to look into the mind of a child development expert – the free guides are super quick.
You can watch the video, read the checklist, and immediately handle the temper tantrums or get started with potty training (depending on which guide you choose : )
- Click here for the FREE video and checklist to handle every temper tantrum
- Click here for the FREE video and checklist to successfully potty train your child
- Want to receive valuable ideas and tips on parenting, without either free guide above? Click here for my weekly parenting newsletter!
Video of the Week:
Off this week! Returning March 28
Grit Cheat Sheet
1) What is grit?
It’s the ability to stick with something, no matter what obstacles show up in our path.
Grit sees us through confidence crises, seemingly endless bureaucratic red tape, and the kind of complications that come up when we are way out of our comfort zone, up a creek without a paddle.
2) How do I give it to my children?
Grit is a quality that, some say, cannot be taught. But I disagree.
The best way to ensure our kids have grit: model it.
Show them what it looks like to take on challenges, and not give up, no matter what.
If that seems too simplistic, listen to today’s show, because while it is simple to understand, it can be a challenge to implement.
Click here for the previous Successful, Fulfilled Kids episode; it was episode 265: How Our Adult Relationships Affect Our Kids.
Click here for the Independent article that started me down this wonderful rabbit hole of raising successful and fulfilled kids in the first place.
Click here for Angela Duckworth’s fantastic book about grit, called Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance.
Click here for episode 108 of We Turned Out Okay, about the different styles of parenting and how grit intersects with them.
Click here for episode 250, about whether our parenting style helps, or hurts, our children in terms of feeling successful and fulfilled when they grow up.
Click here for episode 266, about how detrimental excessive punishment is for children; the episode is called “4 Ways Kids Aren’t Like Submarines.”
In the WTOO Universe
Join the private WTOO Facebook group… Click here!
The Facebook group is where I do our Magic Words for Parents Facebook live every Monday 🙂
Click here for my channel in YouTube, where you’ll find helpful videos (like this one on what to do when your child is jumping on the couch for your attention, at the worst possible time.)
My latest book, 10 Secrets Happy Parents Know, is officially out!!
Click here to read more!
Mind-blowing (if not free) resources for you:
Potty training little kids is never easy. That’s why I created a complete course, Successful Potty Training Under Pressure, to help!
This course gets you ready for potty training with:
- Gear recommendations, both essential and nice-to-have
- Scripts so you know exactly what to say when your child has accidents or other struggles
- Fixes for common problems – like if your child doesn’t care about sitting in a wet or poopy situation, or if you’re struggling to work well with your child’s school or caregiver
I created this course to give you everything you need to successfully potty train your child.
Click the link below to check it out!
“I am feeling able to handle this! I truly cannot thank you enough.”
– NPC Member & Mom of 3YO Boy
What’s frustrating you right now in your parenting?
Kids cut us in so many ways. But change is possible! Learn to truly enjoy family time by joining the Ninja Parenting Community!
Membership in our exclusive parent coaching community helps you through:
- Live, members-only calls where you get solutions to your toughest parenting challenges
- Courses on everything from stopping sibling rivalry to what to do instead of spanking, including the complete Successful Potty Training Under Pressure course
With all that and more, we have got you covered!
Join the Ninja Parenting Community today and make the time you spend with your young children your favorite time!
Get Help in our Private Coaching Community Today
Awesome FREE Resources…
If potty training is getting you down, let me send you – completely free – the first lesson of my course on how to potty train successfully, even under pressure!
Click here to receive Lesson 1: How to Make This Take the Shortest Amount of Time Possible.
Click here for the free 5-part podcast series on how to get good weeknights with kids.
Click here for the We Turned Out Okay Facebook page.
Click here for the Karen Lock Kolp page in YouTube, where you’ll find helpful videos (like this one on what to do when your child is jumping on the couch for your attention, at the worst possible time.)