Do you tend to think along the lines of “I don’t need to worry about teaching… that will be taken care of when my child starts school”?
I want to push back on that idea today. Because the opposite side of this coin is “I am not a teacher and what I do here at home does not matter.”
What we do at home really and truly matters.
And today, we’re talking about 3 ways you can take advantage of this.
In this week’s Parent News segment: We consider the Parent Police… anyone who disparages our personal and family choices.
Go to weturnedoutokay.com/277 for:
- A cheat sheet on the 3 ways to utilize this idea, “learning begins in the home”
- The link to our We Turned Out Okay Facebook group, where I do a Facebook live each Monday morning and this week I’m sharing a useful way to view, or think about, our children
- The video of the week: “Where and when does my child’s education begin?”
And thank you so much for listening!
Temper Tantrums and Potty Training:
Today I share about two helpful free guides I offer.
While the podcast is long-form – your opportunity to look into the mind of a child development expert – the free guides are super quick.
You can watch the video, read the checklist, and immediately handle the temper tantrums or get started with potty training (depending on which guide you choose : )
- Click here for the FREE video and checklist to handle every temper tantrum
- Click here for the FREE video and checklist to successfully potty train your child
- Want to receive valuable ideas and tips on parenting, without either free guide above? Click here for my weekly parenting newsletter!
(Photo by Gavin Whitner of MusicOomph.com.)
Cheat sheet on the 3 ways you can utilize the idea that “learning begins in the home”
1) Act naturally.
Be yourself; be in the moment; be screen-free.
2) Recognize your child as a thinking being.
Sometimes it may not seem like it, but it’s true: kids are thinking creatures.
3) Think of your child as “a visitor from another planet.”
They really don’t know anything about how this world works, and that’s not their fault. Take advantage of this by teaching them about the many good and wonderful creatures, concepts, and ideas in our world.
In Parenting News we talk about Robin Abrahams, a.k.a. Miss Conduct, and this recent column she wrote about a woman whose choice to have just one child is disparaged. Robin talks about how to deal with that, and gives great advice on this point.
Robin’s a returning champion on our show! Listen to our conversations by clicking here for episode 42, and here for episode 73.
Click here for David Albert’s book of essays, including his essay about how children are really aliens from another planet. The book is called Homeschooling and the Voyage of Self-Discovery.
Click here for my first book, Positive Discipline Ninja Tactics, which comes up in this episode.
In the WTOO Universe
Join the private WTOO Facebook group… Click here!
The Facebook group is where I do our Magic Words for Parents Facebook live every Monday 🙂
Click here for my channel in YouTube, where you’ll find helpful videos (like this one on what to do when your child is jumping on the couch for your attention, at the worst possible time.)
My latest book, 10 Secrets Happy Parents Know, is officially out!!
Click here to read more!
“I am feeling able to handle this! I truly cannot thank you enough.”
– NPC Member & Mom of 3YO Boy
What’s frustrating you right now in your parenting?
I specialize in helping parents get out of a negative space, so they cut out the anger and frustration, feel in tune with their children, and start to truly love family time.
Membership in our exclusive parent coaching community helps you through:
- Support, advice, and connection 24/7, all online and available to you wherever you live in the world, and whatever hours you keep
- Exclusive, members-only calls where you get solutions to your toughest parenting challenges
- Courses on everything from stopping sibling rivalry to what to do instead of spanking, including the complete Successful Potty Training Under Pressure course
With all that and more, we have got you covered…
Join the Ninja Parenting Community today and make the time you spend with your young children your favorite time!
Get Help in our Private Coaching Community Today