“She will not eat with us at the dinner table. No matter what we have for dinner she won’t eat it. She just says “yucky” and won’t eat anything. Help!!!”
So writes Megan, mom of a two-year-old girl who is a seriously picky eater.
I bet, if you’ve got kids, you know Megan’s struggle. I certainly do!
There is help. Today I share 4 things to consider when you’ve got a child who refuses to eat.
Also! Click here to sign up for the “5 Ways to Handle Your Picky Eater” Free Guide, which I tell you all about during today’s break!
Plus in Parenting News: We talk about the new and lovely NYTParenting website and newsletter, which I love and I bet you will too.
Go to weturnedoutokay.com/278 for:
- A cheat sheet on the 4 factors to consider when getting your picky eater to willingly eat
- The video of the week: “My child literally won’t eat anything”
And thank you so much for listening!
Cheat sheet on the 4 ways you can help your picky eater
1) Understand what’s different at daycare.
Is it more matter-of-fact? Less fraught? A different vibe around meals?
2) Know that often food issues at home don’t have to do with food at all.
From this one email, I can tell how worried Megan is about this whole thing… It’s possible your child feels this sense of worry as well. Those worries can supersede the actual food that is on the table.
3) Make it a simple fact that food isn’t available between meals.
Megan, our letter writer, is totally on track with this one. I encourage her to keep it up : )
4) Honor your child’s eating patterns.
Our pediatrician encouraged us to think of not just one day’s worth of food intake, but our picky eater’s food intake over an entire week. Sometimes they are just hungrier than other times.
Back in 2016 I did a bunch of episodes on kids, food, and picky eating. Click here for a listener-favorite episode… “Feeding Kids Beyond Nuggets and Fries,” an episode that just happens to include links to all our other episodes about food 🙂
Temper Tantrums and Potty Training:
Today I share about two helpful free guides I offer.
While the podcast is long-form – your opportunity to look into the mind of a child development expert – the free guides are super quick.
You can watch the video, read the checklist, and immediately handle the temper tantrums or get started with potty training (depending on which guide you choose : )
- Click here for the FREE video and checklist to handle every temper tantrum
- Click here for the FREE video and checklist to successfully potty train your child
- Want to receive valuable ideas and tips on parenting, without either free guide above? Click here for my weekly parenting newsletter!
In the WTOO Universe
Join the private WTOO Facebook group… Click here!
The Facebook group is where I do our Magic Words for Parents Facebook live every Monday 🙂
Click here for my channel in YouTube, where you’ll find helpful videos (like this one on what to do when your child is jumping on the couch for your attention, at the worst possible time.)
My latest book, 10 Secrets Happy Parents Know, is officially out!!
Click here to read more!
“I am feeling able to handle this! I truly cannot thank you enough.”
– NPC Member & Mom of 3YO Boy
What’s frustrating you right now in your parenting?
I specialize in helping parents get out of a negative space, so they cut out the anger and frustration, feel in tune with their children, and start to truly love family time.
Membership in our exclusive parent coaching community helps you through:
- Support, advice, and connection 24/7, all online and available to you wherever you live in the world, and whatever hours you keep
- Exclusive, members-only calls where you get solutions to your toughest parenting challenges
- Courses on everything from stopping sibling rivalry to what to do instead of spanking, including the complete Successful Potty Training Under Pressure course
With all that and more, we have got you covered…
Join the Ninja Parenting Community today and make the time you spend with your young children your favorite time!
Get Help in our Private Coaching Community Today