5 Factors in Choosing a Quality Childcare Program

Forums Quarterly Parent Focus Childcare Communication 5 Factors in Choosing a Quality Childcare Program

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Karen Lock KolpKaren Lock Kolp
    Keymaster

Click here for the worksheet that accompanies this video.

Please post questions or thoughts about childcare and how to choose the right spot for your little one in the replies below.

And thank you so much for being a Ninja Parenting Community member!

Host of the We Turned Out Okay podcast
    Author of Positive Discipline Ninja Tactics: Key Tools to Handle Every Temper Tantrum, Keep Your Cool, and Enjoy Life With Your Young Child
    Head Honcho of the Ninja Parenting Community

Participant

I chose our childcare center because of the 10% discount they negotiated with my company. Early in our relationship, they secured NAEYC accreditation and I regularly remind them how much I appreciate it! Ruby was well-prepared for Kindergarten and Lily is on track too. She starts Kindergarten this Fall, aaaggghhh! Stop growing! Haha.

I didn’t know to look for NAEYC when I was looking for providers, so I feel really fortunate that the center we chose already had the credential on their roadmap. They’ve had a lot of turnover in the 5-6 years we’ve been with them, but I gather that’s pretty typical in the industry. Even with the turnover of teachers and center directors and assistant directors… the core elements of cooperation and developmentally-appropriate expectations have all remained constant.

So all of that is a long way to underscore your recommendation to look for the NAEYC accreditation if at all possible! It’s not a guarantee that the provider will be amazing but it does give a good indication that they know what they’re doing and have high standards for supporting families.

Keymaster

Thanks Jen. And I’m glad that NAEYC has had an impact on your life and your girls’ lives!

I agree with you. Too often in the child care industry there is lots of turnover. I think this can be for several reasons, the primary one being “you don’t get into teaching to make money.” So, lots of good teachers have to go and do something more lucrative.

Looking for a center where “they know what they’re doing and have high standards for supporting families,” is very well said!

Author of Positive Discipline Ninja Tactics: Key Tools to Handle Every Temper Tantrum, Keep Your Cool, and Enjoy Life With Your Young Child

MamaLlamaMamaLlama
    Participant

Thank you so much for this. It’s been a busy last couple weeks with celebrations, sick days and everything in between so I am just coming to this today. It’s a big day for our little family- tour day at our top daycare pick! I got a good feeling from my research and conversations with the director so far and looking forward to seeing in person.

Unfortunately we have had a bit of a setback with potty training (not behavioral just dealing with some minor medical stuff) so he won’t be eligible to attend until that’s sorted out (this state is extremely strict regarding 3yo and potty training), but I’m hopeful that if we like it, a late spring start would be possible.

Looking forward to sharing after the tour!

Keymaster

I can’t wait to hear about it!

I hope all goes well with the re-potty training. Definitely jump in here so we can help!

MamaLlamaMamaLlama
    Participant

Was just getting on here to update and saw your reply : )

I’m happy to announce that we have chosen our daycare!

Since there were no NAEYC accredited options in our school district and we wanted an option to include after school care/bussing for when he’s in elementary, I did a lot of research and calling around and got a lot of info from local parenting Facebook groups, including the speech therapist who chimed in with her recommendations.

I talked to the director twice on the phone and she patiently answered all my questions and gave me a good sense of the values of their program. They see active kids as normal and their programming reflects that.  When I was asking about independence in the bathroom and handling their lunches and on field trips, she said “we don’t expect anything out of 3 yr olds it’s why they are in preschool- to learn how to be in a class and it’s our job to teach them. As far as field trips go, 3 year olds are all runners, we expect that!” and it just made so much sense.

They have an indoor gross motor room, lots of movement around the building throughout the day and during the preschool day (9-3) he’s in a class of 8 kids and one teacher (with aides going class to class to help as needed). Their lunchroom has a play area so they can eat and then go play when they are done (this is a huge struggle at his current center, staying at the table for so long). Before and after preschool care means science and cooking and art and active indoor and outdoor play.

The list of what to bring for Winter includes snow boots. Summer means daily water play.

They’re currently planning their summer field trips. A little nerve wracking for MamaLlama but they seem to have good safety plans in place (even carseats on the minibus!) and parents are always welcome to meet the class at the field trip. (DaddyLlama is especially excited about that!)

He’ll start in their summer camp program end of May and continue to preschool in the fall.

Even though DaddyLama and I are no longer married, I’m so proud of how we worked together on this.

We will both be moving this summer and setting up our homes in one of the best affordable school districts in our area and I’m getting excited.

Lots of transitions coming up so I’ll definitely be looking for tips on making those smoother.

As for the potty training, he’s doing a great job and can stay dry for 1-2 days even during nap and then the accidents start. We finally narrowed it down to constipation as the most likely cause (happens in a pattern after no poop for about 2 days) so we are working with his pediatrician and just started some medication that I think will really be a game changer. Fingers crossed! We have 3 months before summer camp so that gives us some time.

Any tips for surviving the next 3 mo at our current center? LittleLlama has no idea of the move yet (way too early for a 3yo brain to process in my view and we aren’t giving our daycare more notice than is required to avoid awkwardness) so this is more for me with dealing with the teachers. We will tell the daycare 30 days in advance per their policy.

Keymaster

Yay! Oh my gosh! I’m so proud of you Mama Llama, and so excited for your family!!

I really love all of what you shared above, and I’m especially excited that they need to bring snow boots and winter, and that they’ll go on field trips. And that there is a place to play when they’re done eating instead of being stuck at the table, and (I could go on and on : )

Let me think on “in the meantime,” at the current place.

My hope is that, at least for you and Daddy Llama, knowing he’ll soon be in a place that will honor his little heart and soul will be helpful.

At least you’re not worrying that the problem is your boy.

Again, congratulations!!

MamaLlamaMamaLlama
    Participant

Day 3 of tummy meds- Day 3 of no accidents. Coincidence? I don’t think so! Fingers crossed this sticks.

That’s exactly it- I want a place that honors who he is. Good things ahead.

Participant

My daughter’s GI doc recommended a YouTube video called “the poo in you” to teach her what she could do about her constipation. She’s 6, and watched it about 10 times that week. Might be a little lengthy for a 3yo, but maybe you will learn from it as much as I did. And offer it to LittleLlama when you think he might be ready.

SO glad you are seeing such great progress with all the changes you set out to make!

MamaLlamaMamaLlama
    Participant

What a great video, thanks for sharing!

I stumbled onto this article the other night when I was putting together the link between the daytime/naptime wetting accidents and constipation and it was so reassuring that we are on the right track. https://slate.com/human-interest/2012/03/bed-wetting-the-simple-cause-your-doctor-probably-missed.html

Keymaster

What great resources! Thank you, Jen and Mama Llama, for sharing : )

MamaLlamaMamaLlama
    Participant

We are officially one week accident free (still wearing a pullup at nap at daycare which is fine)! He’s now in underwear at home during naps and waking dry! Once we get another week or so under our belts I’m thinking of asking daycare if he’s waking dry there too and see about getting rid of nap pullups all together. He is just doing such a great job!

Keymaster

Yay Mama Llama!! This is such great news! I am so proud of you, for this, and for everything else that you have confronted and dealt with in these months. You are amazing!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.