A roadmap to responsibility and independence for your child

Forums Quarterly Parent Focus Independence for your child… And for you A roadmap to responsibility and independence for your child

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Karen Lock KolpKaren Lock Kolp
    Keymaster

In this video I answer our own NPC member Jen’s question about how to get kids to take responsibility without continually hovering around them and “politely interrupting” in order to get kids to clean up their messes.

I put this in the context of a roadmap, which includes three crucial steps to independence, responsibility, and guilt-free parenting.

Click here for Anna Seewald’s conversation with me, in episode 185 of her show Authentic Parenting, all about how our childhoods impact our whole lives. (You should listen away from kiddos, there aare some adult themes in this episode.)

Please post your thoughts and questions about responsibility, independence, etc. in the replies below!

Cheers, and as always thank you so much for being in NPC!
    <3

Host of the We Turned Out Okay podcast
    Author of Positive Discipline Ninja Tactics: Key Tools to Handle Every Temper Tantrum, Keep Your Cool, and Enjoy Life With Your Young Child
    Head Honcho of the Ninja Parenting Community

TishTish
    Participant

A quick note to say…perfect timing for this topic.  I’m determined to get my boys to cooperate and take more responsibility with getting dressed in the coming school year.  I have 1 challenging child when it comes to clothes.  Ridley will want a green shirt but none of the ones we own will do.  He ends up wearing swim shirts, pajamas shirts, whatever he will put on just to leave the house or wear at the house.  LOL.  I’m leaning towards putting all of the play clothes, swim clothes, etc completely out of the picture.  Of course the last time I tried that we were left with nothing he would wear.  LOL  I’m definitely going to get him to pick something the night before and I will let him sleep in it if I have too!  LOL

Karen Lock KolpKaren Lock Kolp
    Keymaster

I’m glad this is coming along at the right time Tish!
    I think it’s a superb idea to have him pick something the night before, and even sleep in his clothes for the next day. That worked for my sons for years, and I think it’s because it does give them independence, but there isn’t arguing in the short amount of time before going to school.

If you’ve got questions or thoughts around independence and responsibility, definitely post them in this forum! My favorite thing about these Parent Focus subjects is making them work for you guys <3

Host of the We Turned Out Okay podcast
    Author of Positive Discipline Ninja Tactics: Key Tools to Handle Every Temper Tantrum, Keep Your Cool, and Enjoy Life With Your Young Child
    Head Honcho of the Ninja Parenting Community

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.