Getting through tough times together: Coronavirus update 2

Forums Coronavirus Resources Getting through tough times together: Coronavirus update 2

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Karen Lock KolpKaren Lock Kolp
    Keymaster

This morning I had a tremendous anxiety attack almost before I was awake.
    I created this video to share with you what helped me get out of that anxiety attack today…
    Because I thought you might also be having more heightened anxiety than usual, and so I hope this is helpful for you!

Cliff Notes for what I am doing to stay positive:

1. I am using a breathing technique called 478, that I originally learned from Dr. Andrew Weil, and that was recently highlighted for me by licensed mental health counselor and beloved guest/podcast sponsor Janine Halloran of http://copingskillsforkids.com. I teach that breathing method in this video.

2. Doing something that I talk a lot about in the Ninja Parenting Community: focusing on what is right in front of me rather than envisioning awfulness down the road. I think this was probably the most helpful thing!

3. I’m focusing on being a helper, with my family, within my community, and also focusing on helping my children be helpers… Kids fare far better when we make them part of the team.

4. I’m spending less time on a screen. And trying to make that time not so much about all the latest awful headlines but about fun and funny stuff, videos, Memes, etc.

5 Finally, I share some of the things that my dearest friends are doing to stay positive, even while confined with family.

I hope it’s helpful!

Cheers,
    Karen

Host of the We Turned Out Okay podcast
    Author of Positive Discipline Ninja Tactics: Key Tools to Handle Every Temper Tantrum, Keep Your Cool, and Enjoy Life With Your Young Child
    Head Honcho of the Ninja Parenting Community

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.