The WHY of human development: First Chapters of Educating Happy Children!

Forums Parenting Books The WHY of human development: First Chapters of Educating Happy Children!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Karen Lock KolpKaren Lock Kolp
    Keymaster

Why should you care about the stages of human development?
    Understanding them is the key to raising children who:
    – Have autonomy, without being unsafe
    – Are pleasant to be around
    – Most importantly have a great relationship with you

As NPC members you get to see these chapters wicked early, months before the book is published!
    I hope they are super helpful to you <3
    Please holler with questions and comments!

Click here for Chapter 1: Learn the Stages of Child Development

Click here for Chapter 2: Know Where You are in Your Own Development

Host of the We Turned Out Okay podcast
    Author of Positive Discipline Ninja Tactics: Key Tools to Handle Every Temper Tantrum, Keep Your Cool, and Enjoy Life With Your Young Child
    Head Honcho of the Ninja Parenting Community

Participant

No surprise Karen, that I loved reading these. Thank you so much for sharing them so early!

I was especially delighted in the Ms. Frizzle quote (of all the changes your editors might suggest, I beg you to protect that quote haha!), and generally appreciated all the different sources you brought together. And your example stories are so well told!

I could do with a few extra reminders about “what’s in it for me” (less frustration and worry, more confidence as a parent, etc). Similarly I felt a need for occasional assurances that what seems vague now (“foster their self-confidence” had me begging for the tactical stuff) will be more actionable by the time the book ends, or are shown in action in your other publications, or are topics so large they fill entire books, or whatever. You do this perfectly at the end of chapter 1 but I think I’d be pulled through the material more easily if I had a kind of “trail marker” that reminds me along the way about where we’re going with all this. Especially since that chapter talks about stages my kids have left already, and stages they aren’t in yet.

I think “YouTube is Dangerous” was well done, but you neglect to explain that your example is just that, an example. It’s not the only place where those problematic algorithms live. By focusing on the one product you come across as a YouTube hater. I think what you mean to say is more along the lines of “I’m not anti-[YouTube], I’m pro-conversation.” I’d love to see you keep the YouTube example but make more general statements that open lines of communication can be powerful enough to defeat any dangers from any product, even YouTube and Snapchat and alcohol and opioids.

Typo on Ch 2 page 5 – “adolescents” should be “adolescence.”

My favorite part was the hopeful ending of chapter 2, how these stages explain part of what makes life hard sometimes but also that it’s all fixable.

Also your therapist’s puzzle explanation was something I really loved — and experienced recently! My traumatic experiences (you know the ones) were scary, and now I think part of the dizzying feeling came from an unplanned trip backwards into Identity versus Role Confusion! “Who am I really, now that this bad stuff has happened to me?”

I really didn’t expect this book to cover the adult stages at all, but I’m so very glad it did. Can’t wait to read the rest.

Jen

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.