My name is Karen Lock Kolp, and I help parents navigate the challenges of raising young children.
I get to do something that I love every single day, connecting with parents, teaching and cheering as they build the kind of lives they love with their young children.
As a podcaster I get to speak with beloved authors, teachers, and other experts, providing advice for parents of young children.
Thousands of parents subscribe to my show, and my favorite is hearing from listeners either asking a question that I can help with, or sharing that something I talked about was helpful for them.
I also have the privilege of working closely with parents. I work with amazing people, moms and dads overcoming parenting challenges to thrive within themselves and within their families.
I am SO proud of each and every one.
- Send out a Weekly Parenting Newsletter each Wednesday, providing insight on everything from how to have a good morning (even if you’re dealing with a bedwetting child every single night) to protecting your children from the most dangerous place on the Internet (sign up for the newsletter by clicking here)
- Run a thriving online community
- Write books for parents , 3 so far and more in the works
I am honored to be featured in the following places:
The #AmWriting Podcast with Jess and KJ, on what it’s like to overcome difficult circumstances and achieve your goals.
The Authentic Parenting Podcast with Anna Seewald, talking about how the events of our childhood shapes the rest of our lives
Boston Globe Magazine, on never quitting even in adverse conditions
Most of all I am so happy to be the creator of resources that take into account:
- My teaching experience, now more than 14 years
- My education which includes degrees in Early Childhood Education and Human Development/Family Relations
- Possibly most important: my own struggles as a parent
When our oldest, Max, was five weeks old,
there came a frightening Monday: his dad, Ben, kissed us both goodbye, got in the car, and went away to work.
For the whole day.
My mother-in-law had come and spent a week. My parents had come and spent a week.
Ben had gotten two weeks off, and then worked from home.
But all that ended today.
Now, it was just me. Just me, spending my first day here alone with this new being, who could not yet hold his head up and who had barely begun to smile.
I held him in my arms, waved goodbye to Ben, and wondered: what in heck were we going to do all day?
That’s when I learned the dirty secret of parenting:
Spending time with kids can be terrifying.
I would always wonder that same question, what’re we going to DO together?
And yet I would also feel terribly guilty, spending time away from Max to work, or exercise, or go on a date with his daddy.
Or even just take a breather for myself.
If you’re in that same spot, first of all let me offer you a huge hug!
After nearly 15 years
- Learning about kids and child development
- Teaching in an outstanding early childhood setting
- Coaching parents, helping them come through the tough stuff – the potty training, the sibling jealousy, the childcare dilemmas, the guilt, the self-doubt – and helping them bond with their young children
The important lessons I’ve learned come down to this:
1) Reign in the bad stuff. Get control of your child’s behavior. That’s the only way you can move on to the fun stuff.
2) Find great answers to the question “what are we going to DO together?”
3) Build on these two to foster the lasting bond, the deep connection with your child, that sustains your relationship for all of your lives.
Don’t feel like you have to do this alone!
We help you do this here at We Turned Out Okay, with:
- 2 ways you can work with me personally on your toughest parenting conundrums
- Free, high-quality child-rearing support and advice through the blog and podcast, which now has (if you were to listen 24/7) more than 11 days worth of content
- Free, quick guides on potty training and handling temper tantrums, both designed so you can watch the video, read the checklist, and channel your inner parent ninja – while addressing these huge parenting challenges – that same day
- Books that help you change your child’s behavior from bad to good; feel happy inside; and TRULY enjoy the time you spend with your family
Because that’s what it’s all about, isn’t it?
Friends and Family Membership Rate Available Now
I mentor parents through the anxiety, bad behavior, and tough struggles that raising a family brings in NPC, our private online coaching community.
I am offering NPC membership at the Friends and Family rate ($1 for your first month and then $29 each consecutive month thereafter, a 25% discount : ) so you can get the help and support you need during this crisis.
If you feel stuck at home, guilty for wishing you weren’t side by each with your littles 24/7, or just need to know what you can do to keep kids amused in confined circumstances, Join today!
This is my family! From right to left they are: Max, Jay, and Ben.
I am SO glad to know them and that I get to spend my days with them.
A documentary about me
My struggle with chronic illness – and how it’s helped strengthen the bonds I have with my family – is documented in this short film, Use Your Words; click here to check it out!