If you’ve ever struggled with less-than-quality childcare, whether in daycare or in a school setting, today’s episode is for you!
Because you are not alone. I’ve been working closely with people whose childcare providers do inscrutable things – one mom tells of an “aggression journal” her 3-year-old son’s childcare teachers are keeping about him! – and another who found her most recent parent-teacher conference frightening and overwhelming.
Which is why today I’m bringing you, in audio format, the class I taught just last week, all about “How to get quality childcare.”
During this master class I share:
1) The three most important keys to finding the best childcare
2) One crucial factor that can hold you back from getting quality childcare
3) The questions you should – and should not – ask potential and current childcare providers
4) An Open House Tour of the private coaching community where quality childcare has been our in-depth focus for the last 3 months
5) A Case Study of one class attendee, Amanda, and her 3-year-old son’s struggles with nap time at daycare
I hope it’s super helpful as your child moves out into the wider world, in daycare, preschool, or school!
Go to weturnedoutokay.com/272 for:
- A cheat sheet of ideas from this masterclass
- Links, including to the private coaching community I run (current members: click here for the audio, video, and expanded notes for this masterclass)
- The video of the week: “3 crucial factors for quality childcare”
And thank you so much for listening!
Temper Tantrums and Potty Training:
Today I share about two helpful free guides I offer.
While the podcast is long-form – your opportunity to look into the mind of a child development expert – the free guides are super quick.
You can watch the video, read the checklist, and immediately handle the temper tantrums or get started with potty training (depending on which guide you choose : )
- Click here for the FREE video and checklist to handle every temper tantrum
- Click here for the FREE video and checklist to successfully potty train your child
- Want to receive valuable ideas and tips on parenting, without either free guide above? Click here for my weekly parenting newsletter!
Cheat sheet on how to get great childcare
1) The three keys to finding the best childcare:
– How is the program structured?
You’re looking for a flexible, predictable routine; TONS of open-ended play time; and the right amount of teacher facilitation
– How do teachers treat the children?
They should shape behavior with either positive – or neutral – discipline; they should base their interactions on what they see in your child, and not what they hear about him or her; they should always be flexible and child centered
– How does communication with parents work?
They should view you as being an equal player on the same team; you should hear about more than just the negatives, the infractions your child commits in a day; and they should support you and your goals for your child.
2) The crucial factor that can hold you back from finding great childcare
Simply put, our own self-doubt can hold us back! Don’t let it.
3) The questions you should – and shouldn’t – ask
Avoid questions (which means, avoid worrying) about less-important aspects, such as “how will our choice of preschool impact our child’s college education?”
The locale and pedigree of your child’s preschool matters far less than the answers to the questions below.
Ask questions such as:
“Is this a good fit for my actual, human child?”
“How will the teachers treat my son or daughter, with all their quirks and foibles?”
“Does this feel like a place with lots of nurturing and caring?”
Keep in mind: this is a cheat sheet, a tiny distillation of everything in this episode! Listen to the episode for the expanded version.
If you are a Ninja Parenting Community member click here for the video of this master class as well as the expanded notes.
Not yet a member? Click here.
Click here for episode 197, my conversation with Dr. Catherine Pearlman about making parenting problems disappear by, quite literally, ignoring them : )
In the WTOO Universe
Join the private WTOO Facebook group… Click here!
The Facebook group is where I do our Magic Words for Parents Facebook live every Monday 🙂
Click here for my channel in YouTube, where you’ll find helpful videos (like this one on what to do when your child is jumping on the couch for your attention, at the worst possible time.)
My latest book, 10 Secrets Happy Parents Know, is officially out!!
Click here to read more!
Mind-blowing (if not free) resources for you:
Potty training little kids is never easy. That’s why I created a complete course, Successful Potty Training Under Pressure, to help!
This course gets you ready for potty training with:
- Gear recommendations, both essential and nice-to-have
- Scripts so you know exactly what to say when your child has accidents or other struggles
- Fixes for common problems – like if your child doesn’t care about sitting in a wet or poopy situation, or if you’re struggling to work well with your child’s school or caregiver
I created this course to give you everything you need to successfully potty train your child.
Click the link below to check it out!
“I am feeling able to handle this! I truly cannot thank you enough.”
– NPC Member & Mom of 3YO Boy
What’s frustrating you right now in your parenting?
Kids cut us in so many ways. But change is possible! Learn to truly enjoy family time by joining the Ninja Parenting Community!
Membership in our exclusive parent coaching community helps you through:
- Live, members-only calls where you get solutions to your toughest parenting challenges
- Courses on everything from stopping sibling rivalry to what to do instead of spanking, including the complete Successful Potty Training Under Pressure course
With all that and more, we have got you covered!
Join the Ninja Parenting Community today and make the time you spend with your young children your favorite time!
Get Help in our Private Coaching Community Today