To us grown-ups, summer can mean
headaches caused by heat and humidity, too much time spent in air-conditioning, and unwelcome changes in routine.
Also, the endless application of sunscreen on our littles.
But to kids, just being outside can be a revelation. There’s birdsong, and water, and dirt…
Summer is a great time for reconnecting with your child, for truly listening to him or her – for deep, true bonding with this little person you are bringing up.
Does that seem daunting? If you’re not sure how to begin, listen to this episode of We Turned Out Okay!
Today, I am excited to interview Sunshine Parenting podcast host Audrey Monke, who has directed a summer camp for more than 30 years.
In that time Audrey has seen it all: extreme homesickness, parental worries, and, again and again, the life-changing magic of summertime.
We tap into her knowledge of how to make summer great, as Audrey shares THE 3 most important things you can do this summer to capture that magic, to truly enjoy the time you spend with your young child.
For TONS of amazing links that come up in today’s conversation, as well as to join our We Turned Out Okay private Facebook group (I’ve got a big announcement in today’s episode about something new happening in the group!)…
Go to weturnedoutokay.com/224.
Thanks for listening!
Summer is a magical time for kids
Summer’s coming, and who better to talk to about having a great time with kids in summer than a summer camp director?
Just below, read about my guest’s 3 most important things you can do this summer to bond with your young child, to give them the gift of bonding with you, but first…
What’s frustrating you right now in your parenting?
If you need help, come and join us in the Ninja Parenting Community, where work personally with parents to accomplish three things:
– Change your child’s bad behavior to good behavior
– Feel happy inside
– Truly enjoy family time in a way you never thought possible
If you need help feeling truly happy inside as you are raising your young children, come and join us in the private coaching community where I help parents like you change their mindset – and their child’s behavior – for the better every day.
NPC Parent Coaching Community Membership helps you through:
– Live, members-only calls where you get solutions to your toughest parenting challenges
– Courses on everything from stopping sibling rivalry to what to do instead of spanking
– Parent Coaching Calls that members call “the most helpful part of my Ninja Parenting Community membership”
With all that and more, we have got you covered!
Join the Ninja Parenting Community today and make the time you spend with your young children your favorite time!
Get Help in our Private Coaching Community Today
For a Great Summer Do This
Here’s 30-year veteran summer camp director and host of the Sunshine Parenting podcast Audrey Monke’s top three things to do with your child this summer!
1) Get outside… for free play time.
Open-ended free play. For fun, for bonding, for better balance skills and people’s important knowledge of where their body is in space – a skill American children are rapidly losing – nothing beats playing outside!
2) Get them off screens.
Try a craft, or a hobby, something new with your child.
As great as screens are, they are also dangerous and detrimental to our human health. Use them sparingly, especially in summer when there is so much else that’s wonderful in the (real, not virtual) world.
3) Read with them.
Books are magical and fit in really well with the magic of summertime!
Nine Key Links including Magic Words for Parents!
1) Click here to join the We Turned Out Okay Facebook group, where each Monday morning I share “Magic words for parents,” a short phrase to help you truly enjoy your time with your kids!
If you’re feeling like you need inspiration, something new to try as you change your kids’ behavior from bad to good and stop dreading the hours you spend with them, you definitely want to check out Magic words for parents : )
2) Click here for Homesick and Happy by Michael Thompson, the book Audrey sends every new-camper family
3) If you feel like you could never afford summer camp, or your child has a special need and you’re concerned there isn’t a camp for him or her, Audrey says, don’t give up hope!
Go to ACAcamps.org, because likely there is a camp for your child, there is a scholarship program, so that you can give your son or daughter the magic of camp.
4) Click here for Strengths Finder 2.0
5) Click here for Audrey’s Sunshine Parenting episode about Strengths Finder 2.0
6) Click here for the VIA strength test, the free test Audrey shares with and counselors at camp
7) Click here for the wonderful #AmWriting with Jess and KJ Podcast
8) Click here for the book Deep Work by Cal Newport, recommended by KJ in the above podcast : )
9) Click here for iGen by Jean Twenge
The 3 Secrets of Happy Parenting Class
In today’s episode I share about the live, free, online class I am teaching…
If you want to change your child’s behavior from bad to good, feel happy inside, and start truly enjoying the time you spend with your young kids, you want to take this FREE class.
In it I teach the distillation of everything I have learned about:
– What holds parents up from happiness
– How to change a child’s bad behavior to good
– How to make the time you spend with your kids into happy family time
Click this button for details and to sign up for the 3 Secrets of Happy Parenting Class!
Click Here for the 3 Secrets of Happy Parenting Class